Saturday, August 1, 2009

Friday Fun with Friends

I had the rare opportunity yesterday to leave for a Friday morning out with my dear friend Allison. Since we have eight kids all-total, it is an extra-special treat for us to get to leave with NO little people! We spent the morning browsing cute shops in the local antiques district, "ooooh-ing" and squealing like a couple of little girls. We saw dolls and aprons(a post about that coming later), dreamed up a few hopes for making some fun things OURSELVES(yes, IDEA shopping is the BEST!), and of course spent a little bit of money on some fun new--old--stuff!


The first thing I want to show you is this cute chest--isn't that adorable? It was a STEAL! I had been looking for one on which to set a large candle stand that I already own. Here's a picture of the two united, finally.


Made for each other? I think so!

Can you see the tiny feet on the chest? We added those today--a few wooden cabinet knobs leftover from the kids' under-bed drawers, spray-painted black! I think they were the perfect touch. Besides, lifting the chest off the floor ensures the dust bunnies don't go homeless.


We bought some other fun things, but the BEST of it all to me was the FREE dollhouse. . . .of course, for FREE you could expect to get a fixer-upper, but I have been WANTING a dollhouse of MY OWN for so long . . . .and the price was just perfect on this one. Funny thing is, it was marked 50% off. I didn't know it was give-away till I got to the cashier and she said it was part of their July 4th promotion: each seller had marked a certain number of items to give away, and they were one-per-customer-per-visit. How about that?



It's a lovely vintage tin two-story with chipboard walls and a plastic architectural shingled roof. The dolls have already enjoyed moving some of their things in, but we are thinking of wallpaper and floor coverings, too. I think they would breathe new life into the place. Any suggestions on color schemes? Here are preliminary shots of the bathroom, bedroom/playroom, and living area. I am still looking for my dollhouse furniture, so things are sparse, especially in the living area. The kitchen just hasn't told me which table to put in there yet.






Besides being free, I love that it is so similar to the dollhouse I played with as a child. That one literally fell apart from being loved--even though tiny dolls were hard to find then, so I used my Sesame Street "little people" as characters. They were the perfect size.


I'm sure Bert, Big Bird, and Cookie Monster will come visit here too--Oscar the Grouch is just outside the kitchen door waiting to celebrate the first full garbage bag, exactly like when I was four.


Did YOU ever have a dollhouse? Leave me a comment about it!


~april

No comments: