Friday, August 14, 2009

Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater . . . .

Okay, so we won't actually be EATING them(many, anyway), nor is this about Peter's marital discord--though I have thoughts about that, too. This is about OUR PUMPKIN PATCH.

We read that they needed to be planted in July in order to have them ready for fall in our area, so my sweet husband was out on the tractor in the rain the last week of July preparing the soil and planting our little seeds. What a great guy!










I was amazed to see yesterday that against all odds and the obvious weed problems in the back pasture, we have SIXTEEN healthy little plants ranging from about 6 inches to 10 inches in height. Wow! Only two weeks old! Now I need to get someone out there with a hoe . . . .maybe me? Nothing like doing it yourself to get the job done.

We are hoping for at least a few pumpkins to play with this fall, and if it goes well, maybe we will plan AHEAD next year to make it a really NEAT(as in tidy) experience that we can share with friends--sure would beat paying 3-10 dollars apiece for the orange orbs in October. Seeing how each person in the family has to have his or her own pumpkin, that adds up to quite a few dollars quickly.


What do you like to do with pumpkins? Post a comment, and let me know!

1 comment:

Allison B. said...

The orange is KILLING my eyes. Aaaaahhhh. I did't get my pumpkins in ground yet so mabey we'll be paying top dollar for yours. ;)

Post your 13 A's girl. Cannot wait to read them.