Thursday, October 22, 2009

beautiful morning surprise . . .


Wow! I woke up accidentally later than usual this morning(it was actually LIGHT outside already), and after getting my coffee(very important), as I sat down to the computer table, I saw FOUR Great Egrets in my neighbor's yard! I tried to get a picture, but the zoom on my camera just wasn't up to the task. They were so beautiful. I don't know if I've ever seen four of them in one location, ever. They are such fun birds to watch, too, as they step delicately along in the ditches and puddles, suddenly dipping their heads to catch a bite of something. They look as if a strong wind would send them reeling in a flash, on those long spindly legs. They freeze completely motionless at any odd sign which could mean danger, even if they're standing on one leg. If necessary, suddenly the huge wings open and they flap away, graceful and yet laborious. Getting to have them in the yard, on the bridge, near enough to watch is probably one of my favorite things about Louisana--one small redeeming quality of living in the flatlands(and I'm always LOOKING for redeeming qualities!).
They say home is where the heart is. . . .I'll take that at face value sometimes.
~april


No comments: