Sunday, April 25, 2010

Promise Kept

The last time I showed you my flowers(you can stop now if you find this subject boring!), it was about two weeks ago. Things have really taken off since then, and each morning brings new surprises. I thought I'd share again! We are really enjoying our outdoor spaces right now--in another month it will be too hot to spend much time outdoors till fall arrives. Sad but true. We savor spring before the stupor of summer dulls us all down to lazy lumps!

This is the view out my front room windows. I love sitting in my big comfy chair(we call it the "slouch)and kitty-cat gazing out at the sunshine and flowers--YAWN. Ok, better move on OUTSIDE! lol.


First up, the first blue hydrangea blossom by my front steps! It is growing and getting more blue--I could only be happier with it if it were a lacecap, but I will bide my time and try for one of those later. It IS beautiful--and these flowers last a LONG time, dry well, and keep forever in arrangements. What's not to love?


My purple irises have multiplied! Last year they surprised me with two blooms--after I had forgotten they were there--THIS year, there is much more pretty to see!
AROUND the corner toward the back yard . . . the neglected(so far) area:

Here's our dog trail. And more of the yellow irises. Coco(the dog) is a behemoth--around 80 pounds. She keeps us safe by patrolling the perimeter when we are gone. Quite a trail, isn't it? Signs of devotion, I suppose. The tire is from the swing that needs new rope soon--C was on it when it broke a couple of weeks ago. THANKFULLY she was just scratched up a bit. THAT could have been a lot worse. Many things to be thankful for!
Back around to the front porch:

I love this little box! Dad made it for me to use as a manger in a Christmas display, but the weathered wood was just begging for green plants--inspired by our recent trip to a B&B in Hattiesburg, MS. I have peppermint and apple mint in it for now. Trying to figure out if I want anything that really blooms in there. It looks like a tiny gardener left and will be back for her rake at any minute, doesn't it? Surprisingly, Coco has left it alone. Normally if I touch anything outside, she finds a way to drag it in the yard and destroy it . . .

My fish pond! C has been working on this. Hopefully we will get more waterlily blooms this year--and the water lettuce will do well. We need to work at hiding the cord, but I thought she did such a good job, I couldn't wait till it was "finished" to show you!
Here's my little hanging basket about a week and a half ago--the marigolds are still alive! I am sure that's because I've been neglecting them and letting C take care of them instead.

Here's the same basket TODAY. They are growing!!!!! I love spring.


In the background of those two pictures you can see my little green church bench. We weatherized it and added it to the porch. Now there's another place to sit and visit while Big B works his BBQ magic for us!

My purple roses--about to open.

One of the purple blooms brought in after a light rain yesterday.

The yellow rose always has a blush of orange. This is not a good picture, but I had to include it. We bought this topiary bush on its last leg at a home center a few years ago. This year it is starting early blessing us with its wonderfully fragrant blossoms. A little love goes a long way!

The red lilies dress the fence by the driveway nicely. We transplanted them to this location last spring--they have already begun spreading. These remind me of my Mom's mother. She had a huge row of them in her yard. It was one of the "walls" when we would play house outside.
New plants waiting to go into a bed. . . .Navajo sage, yarrow, Mx. primrose, and plumbago. AND,
The new bed--Big B did this after WORK one evening last week!
It sits just off the corner of the sidewalk, near the fish pond.
This is the view of the front flower bed as we say goodbye this time--thanks for visiting! I will try to talk about more than flowers in our next visit!
~april

2 comments:

Allison said...

How much do you charge? My house could never look like yours. Even with your sweet touches. It looks great A. What a gift you have.
~a

Gabrielle said...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!