Friday, July 23, 2010

My Piano

It is old. Older than me, my mom, or even my grandmother, I believe. Much of the music contained in the piano bench when we got it was from the turn of the century--there is a date inside that says 1876. Not sure what that means, as the name of the company--Ahlstrom--is nearly non-existent on the internet, but it is OLD.


Mom purchased it from an old woman in a very old house when I was fifteen, and it is what I enjoyed playing growing up--one of three pianos Mom and Dad owned then. We built our current house with a special room with wide doors "just for" it, and my daughters love to sit, play and stare out the windows awhile--just like I used to do.
The sound is lovely. Old and rich and just lovely(Just like I like most things).


Beautiful.

~april

I am linking this one to ColoradoLady's Vintage Thingie Thursday today.


12 comments:

LV said...

I enjoy most all music. Piano is my very favorite. I could listen all day to someone that really plays well. I wish I could have learned how in younger days. Too late now. I just enjoy hearing others share their talent.

Postcardy said...

That is a great piano to have. I am very unmusical and never learned to play.

Michelle said...

How incredibly special. A beautiful old piano and so many wonderful memories tied to it.

Maureen said...

It's a great looking piano and appears to be in great shape.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Oh wow what a beautiful piano! I'm sure it has a wonderful sound.

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

Coloradolady said...

Oh. My. What a beauty this piano is. I can just imagine the beautiful music this must make. What a special family treasure. Have a great VTT and thanks so much for sharing your piano with us today!

Miri said...

Beautiful!

Do you still have the old sheet music?

Blue Ridge Altered Art said...

Beautiful piano and what a treasure to have all the old sheet music to go with it. ~~Sherry~~

Sally Annie Magundy said...

What a beauty! I so wish I had learned to play an instrument, especially piano - I've got no rhythm and I'm tone deaf, so perhaps it's good for the community at large that I didn't hehe!

Happy VTT,
Sally

Anna said...

Beautiful piece. I always wanted a piano growing up but it was never meant to be. Good thing, too, I don't think I'm coordinated enough :)

Sarah said...

That's gorgeous...you are blessed! (We are homeschoolers too :)

HaPpY vInTaGe ThInGiE tHuRsDaY!

Sarah

visit my blog for a GIVEAWAY and a new linking party!
http://bloggingwhilewaiting.blogspot.com/2010/08/new-wednesday-party-link-up-giveway-too.html

SJA said...

The Ahlstrom Piano Company were in business in Jamestown, New York, up till the late 1920's. Very good reviews of the quality of instruments they produced. And, yes, I was an Ahlstrom!