Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Time and Space for School

Well, finally. Nine years of home education, and FINALLY. A schoolroom with STORAGE.

My dh spent HIS Labor Day weekend doing this:

instead of this:


His self-generated-while-at-work list contained fifteen(truly important, but mostly OUTSIDE) items. What he spent the weekend doing was ON the list, but technically followed by a ?.

Which, any good list-maker knows, means it is not REALLY on the list. . .

Well, I told him he got FOUR BIG CHECK MARKS by that(questionable) item! Wasn't I generous?

Sometimes a person needs to put what HAS been done on the to-do list, and CHECK IT OFF just to KNOW that what has been going on WAS significant. Especially with back-to-school time, it's easy to get that "under the pile" feeling.

A portrait of my life:


See the planner UNDER the stack of mail, school books, and STUFF? Kind of hard to USE it that way!

I've started TRYING to keep a "journal" of sorts, daily. It is really more of a catalog of activities and time spent doing things. Helps me number my days, and helps me evaluate how I'm really spending my time. Just a composition book(I'm a sucker for the covers and bindings on those things.) I list approximate times:

6:15-8:00 a.m. Wake up, drink coffee, read Bible, check email and blog list. . .

almost two hours reading blogs? Eek! Maybe I need to hop to something else. ;-) Or re-prioritize a bit.

Yesterday I also spent some time PLANNING a schedule for the kids and myself. It is daunting, on paper, to write down a schedule for educating four children. Doesn't leave a lot of free time. . .

Which means that RIGHT NOW I need to leave my happy little corner(another Labor Day weekend project/gift from my hubby),

and get to work.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.
Colossians 3:23-24


Have a blessed day!

~april

P.S.--and yes, I will post pictures of the shelves once they are FULL. I am sure they are nowhere as large as my current imagination has made them out to be! :)



2 comments:

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

What a fantastic space!

Thank you so very much for your "Encouraging Ballad, Babble, Banter" ? :)

I am having trouble juggling a bit this week with college, projects, kids...

So pretty much feel like an

Exhausted Bear

The good news is that several projects are almost completed.

April said...

From one Exhausted Bear to another, try to get some rest, Laura! Thanks for your humor and comment. You are back in school? Wow!