Monday, November 15, 2010

Stitches and Time. . .

Hi all! Not many posts here lately. I guess it's been a combination of busyness with kids and house, school that *needs* to be done, and PROJECTS. No time for blogging! I thought I'd share what I've been up to--in my own crafty way--since the last post.

Roman shades. For the then-dining, now-living/sitting room.(Have we discussed the chronic furniture rearranging gene that seems to have established itself in my brain? More on that later, I'm SURE!)

They turned out pretty cute, even if I AM biased a bit!

The fabrics I started with:

I have had the floral for TWELVE YEARS. Yes. Twelve.
The ticking I picked up a couple of years ago when our Walmart was ridding itself of the fabric department(SAD!). I think it was $1.50/yard. I measured it, then realized that I didn't have quite the width I would need for the two skinny windows, so I decided to make an edging for the shade from the floral--something to the tune of 320 inches of 3-inch strips. So I cut, and I cut(This would have been a good time to have a sharp blade on my rotary cutter, but I didn't, so I cut them with scissors!), and then I stitched those strips together, end to end, till they looked like this:
In a pile on the kitchen floor, waiting to be ironed.
After ironing, they looked like this:

Only there was a MUCH bigger pile by the time it was all done!
Then the pinning along three sides of my fabric. THEN, the stitching.
And a neat mitered fold for the corners, and more stitching.


While I was doing this, look what my hubby made me!
First official cappy-mocha of the season! He loves me!(this pic was an afterthought-it was MUCH prettier BEFORE I slurped--er, SIPPED--most of the lovely froth from the top! :)

Here are the shades hanging, finally--raised:

and partially lowered:
I am amazed at how much these have helped with the draftiness in this area of our home! Now I would like to make similar ones for the three shorter windows in the bay window of that area, but I will be scrambling for a coordinating fabric. I have ONE already, but I need more yardage than what I currently have. I guess I'll have to go fabric shopping(oh, no!!!!!!!).

On other projects, the Redhead and I have been baking. She helped me revisit homemade pizza crust for lunch a couple of weeks ago.

It turned out REALLY yummy, and it was SO easy! Why did I ever give up making my own?

The Redhead has also been reading the Felicity books, which has inspired a revitalized interest in her "sampler" stitching. One morning last week, this was the scene while I was fighting with--COOKING--breakfast:

Yes, even the Boy is stitching away. Flowers. Hey, the guy has three older sisters!

And last, but certainly not least, C has been "into" any "bulbous" plant lately. That is, if it grows from a bulb, rhizome, or corm, she is ON it. I have learned much, and spent much. We gave in and placed an order for flowers for spring. They arrived like this:
Personally, not too exciting! But, my beautiful daughter, ever willing to daydream and see potential, looked like this:


Which is how I will likely look in early spring when the first pink daffodils appear.

Meanwhile, it is cooling weather, and I am glad to be cozy in my house with something hot to drink and a few snugglebugs to share a blanket and a story. What blessings!

Happy Rainy Monday!
~april



5 comments:

Allison said...

To those who read this blog I know and love April personally. Yes, her life looks this good all the time. It is fun to pop in and out of her house. It always looks this good. Great post A.
~a

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Oh I adore those curtains! You know how much I love ticking and the touch of floral is perfect.

elizabeth said...

Thanks so much for your kind comments over at my place. Fabulous curtains by the way!
While I don't share your gift for sewing, we do have in common our love for the Mitford books but most of all for Jesus!
Elizabeth
http://www.justfollowingjesus.com

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Hey girlie guess what? You can now never say that you never win anything. Yeah for you!!!

Send me your address so that I may get your winnings in the mail to enjoy by Thanksgiving.

decortoadore@hotmail.com

Anita said...

Would you please come make curtains for my girls room? It's a good think we live in the country and WAY back from the road, 'cause curtains have been missing for a while. Beautiful home and beautiful kids! And we will be in S.MS. as well during the week of Christmas. For just one night...I hope!