Saturday, January 29, 2011

A Birthday Tablescape

Saturday night I had the privilege of preparing a meal of celebration in honor of my husband's 40th birthday. Just a quiet evening with our children and our parents, I wanted it to be calm and relaxed, but special--a time for him to just be able to enjoy good food and the warmth of those who love him.

We started Saturday morning with the table setting.


I found the tablecloth at Tuesday Morning this past week--I loved the roses and the BLUE. It's a nice start to my table linens for this new, LARGER table.

The dishes are my wedding china--Wedgwood "Watercolour". Stemware is Mikasa "French Countryside"--also from our wedding.

Flatware is Community Plate by Oneida--a vintage set I found at Goodwill for a BARGAIN several years ago.


Tiny bird salt-and-peppers came from Cracker Barrel, just last week. Adorable, and they worked PERFECTLY with the colors in the tablecloth.


My daughter helped me put the table decorations together...the sweet brown pots and the fun moss balls from Dollar Tree worked really well with my huge hurricane vase that was a gift from my husband's mom several years ago.





A few candles, some forced forsythia stems in blue bottles, and we've GOT it!


On the menu:

Jambalaya, cooked in his grandmother's cast-iron pot. Nothing makes it better!


Shrimp & corn chowder. Yum!


Cucumber and tomato salad.


Asparagus in a balsamic/soy vinaigrette.


Yummy homemade rolls from the freezer that C made several weeks ago.(They didn't last long enough for a photo op! :)


And, the grand Finale--Chocolate Lover's Cheesecake--

oh. my. GOODNESS.

Made by the best-ever bestest best friend in the whole world, Alli.


It was SO good. How good? My father-in-law NEVER-ever-ever-NEVER-EVER touches sweets when we have the dozens of "special" occasions each year. He actually ATE a slice of this cheesecake.

I am so glad Alli doesn't SELL them because then I couldn't afford it, I'm sure, but it was SO GOOD.


After dinner, three of the kids presented their interps for upcoming speech class. I think the grandparents liked that!


It was a lovely, quiet, conversation-filled evening. I hope it's the start of another really good year.


I love you, B! Happy Birthday!


~always yours,
a.


Linking this post to Tabletop Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life, Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps on the Porch, and Vintage Thingie Thursday at ColoradoLady! ;)


13 comments:

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

Looks like you had a great party...beautiful tablescape!!!
Happy Birthday to the hubby!
Sherry

Allison said...

are there any leftovers? Glad it was such a special day. :)

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness, that is beautiful!!! Mmm . . . chowder .. . .
:)

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Beautiful tablescape. Such a fun party and Happy Birthday. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Lynn said...

Oh, April, that table is bee-U-ti-ful! My! I would love to have seen it in person! LOL. The food looks so good. It's nice you all could get together like that. It'll be a sweet memory to treasure for a long time! xoxo Lynn

Marlis said...

Great tablecloth. Your table turned out lovely. Looks like a great time.

Honey at 2805 said...

Pretty table, great food. Is he vintage? Not yet!

Alycia Nichols said...

Oh, how sweet!!! Happy 40th to your hubby! I know he was just bowled over by your loving table! And the food looks great, too!!!

LV said...

My goodness, what a fine spread and setting for you hubby's birthday. I am sure he felt very special with these lovely arrangements. I will let you know when mine is.

Tricia@The Dull and the Dutiful said...

What a pretty birthday table! I love your plates and your stemware -- just gorgeous! And the centerpiece was just right for a man's celebration!

Entertaining Women said...

Wonderful tablescape. I'm going to my Tuesday Morning tomorrow to see if they have that wonderful tablecloth....great choice with your lovely things. Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

Marigene said...

Beautiful china, April...blue and green is my favorite color combination.

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

What a wonderful table for a yummy looking Birthday dinner -- this looks perfect for a gentleman's table.