Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Tea Party in a Day

or, "How to make your kids crazy in one afternoon while having TONS of fun and counting it as a school project."
:)
See why I chose the FIRST title?
Dear Laura(at Decor to Adore--I found her site while researching thatched cottages for homeschool--so glad I did!) is having this WONDERFUL, tempting, joy-and-giggle-inducing, girly-stuff, swoon-worthy blog party for her series on the upcoming Royal Wedding(I never knew there was so much to know about the British monarchy!). It was tempting to join. Then I got sick. Then I began feeling guilty about not doing enough school work with the kids(see note about being sick). THEN we began studying Great Britain's checkered relationship with India. . .the Crystal Palace. . . .Queen Victoria . . .TEA.
:)

I saw the inlet to allow me to steal some time for joining a FUN party. The challenge was, I had really not planned ahead for this one.

SOOO, Tuesday evening I sketched out my "ideal" plan. . .
Wednesday we got the oldest child settled into her class online, picked up the toys from my "rosy room"(YES! Finally!) and the other three and I headed out to the local grocer(s). It was going to be a DAY.

Home again we made pizzas for lunch(C had been sweet to make the dough while we were out), cleaned the kitchen, and began our attack. . .

Here are the results of our shop, cook, mix, and bake-a-thon Wednesday afternoon. We actually had "tea" in place(and time)of dinner!!!!! I hope you enjoy just this tiny peek into our "school project". My Redhead now knows how to make ALL of the things we had to eat--I'll call that a good lesson, and next time SHE wants a tea party(which will be soon, I do not doubt), SHE can DO IT HERSELF(oh, how many years have I been hearing this little girl say that?)!!!

Lest I ramble more, and scare you away before you've had a single scone, I'll leave you with a quote:
"Come along inside. . .we'll see if tea and buns can make the world a better place."
from The Wind in the Willows


Here you go. Enjoy!








Linking to Laura's fun High Tea Tablescapes over at Decor to Adore!

"Tea pot is on, the cups are waiting,
Favorite chairs anticipating,
No matter what I have to do,
My friend there's always time for you."
-author unknown


with love and friendship,
~april


6 comments:

Anita said...

So lovely!! We have teas before--once with our homeschool co-op group... we had several tables set up. Fun! Love the heart shaped scones. Scones are on the list for my 11 yod to make soon.

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

My goodness, you set a delightful table with quick notice! I think it is a marvelous idea to teach our childrn such wonderful rituals as tea time. Your food looks scrumptious and the table is so pretty!
Yvonne

Lynn said...

Beautiful!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

I am just BLOWN AWAY by your creativity! What an amazing table April.
Your china is just lovely and I cannot get over all of the lovely food that you made. Yum.

Well done and yeah for homeschooling! It was fun to learn how you had found me.

Thank you so very much for linking up.

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Did my comment go through?

Jennifer aGlimpseOfOurLife said...

That is lovely. My mom collected teapots when I was a girl, and tea with her is always special. Yesterday's quickly thrown together tea time included animal crackers and sliced apples. You have inspired me to make scones again. I hope there is time tomorrow.