Monday, April 11, 2011

A few of my favorite things. . .

This past Saturday would have been my Grandmother "Mawmaw" Henrie's 96th birthday. It seems after 24 years of missing her, I still miss her more each year and especially in the springtime...so I  thought  I'd share a few pictures of the things I have that were hers--see if you can tell how much influence she had on me! :)

I sat and watched her embroider for many hours.

She taught me more about this craft than she probably realized, as I am a visual learner! 

A sweet little hobnail milk glass vase--you know I collect milk glass!

This teacup hung in the very top of her kitchen cabinet on a nail--I never saw anyone use it, probably because of the crack in the inside glaze. This probably started my love of all things blue and white...the bottom says Made in Japan.

I also have one of her bibles, a pocket handkerchief that I carried in my wedding, and a brooch with lovely green "stones"--I remember it being in her jewelry box when I would peek in there as a little girl.
I had many long afternoons of time for snooping as a kid. ;)


And finally, the best--my sweet Mom. She is my FAVORITE that reminds me of Mawmaw.


May your day be filled with happy memories of those you love, and happy moments making more memories!

~april


Linking to:

Photobucket








6 comments:

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Such sweet and precious memories. How fortunate that you had so much time with her and have some of her favorite things. Hugs, Marty

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

You are fortunate to have so many lovely things that belonged to your grandmother. I know you miss her!!! Thanks for sharing your memories and thanks for stopping by my blog! I look forward to your visits!!!

Cherry Tree Lane said...

this post made me smile :)
thank you for sharing a little about your precious grandmother.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

I so appreciate you linking to the party. If you want to delete one you just go to my blog party and you should see a red x beside your picture. Just click on the x and it will ask if you want to delete it. Easy. Hugs, marty

Liz said...

I got my love of blue and white from my Grandma Ruth and my crafting passion from my other grandmother "Ma". Do you think that they ever knew how much influence they really had on us? I hope my mom has as much influence on my daughter. :)

Sweet post!
Have an awesome day April!
~Liz

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

this is such a sweet post. I'm so glad you are the keeper of so many of your grandmother's lovely treasures and that they bring back wonderful memories for you. I especially love that you have some of the linens she stitched. Isn't it wonderful knowing that her hands created those beautiful stitches? Your mother is so pretty. laurie