Monday, April 18, 2011

This Little Light of Mine

It was a nice weekend, even though a "short" one. My hubby has every other Friday off, and this was not his long weekend, but we both agreed that time seemed to slow down a bit, although we were busy. Just another small grace dispensed from the Lord--times of refreshing DO come from Him!

I actually had time to do a few small projects this weekend, as well as begin planning an Easter party for next Sunday AND get my menu planned for the week!  I moved the cookbooks from the kitchen to the front room and stowed some dishes on their former shelf(storage is at a premium in my kitchen!).


I also moved a bench and a table. . .you know that making a small change creates a domino effect. . .I won't show you pictures of all of the changes because they're not PRETTY, but I will share the small table I moved from our guest bathroom into the great room passageway. This table had been holding a basket of cleaning supplies underneath and an enamelware bowl with hand towels plus a table mirror on its top. The shelf I replaced it with has SO MUCH MORE storage for that room--which is great when preteen girls are using that bathroom! :)

So, the table. My sweet mom had given me a CUTE tiny lamp for my birthday. It stands about ten inches tall, with a brushed nickel base and a bright white shade.( I forgot to take a "before" picture.)
I love the finish on the lamp, but bright white lampshades generally are not my style. As I waited for the Papa Murphy's to cook after church last night, I thought about what I could do--FREE--to alter the lampshade. Paint? Limits the light too much. Coffee or tea stain? Messy and not fast enough. Sharpie marker? Not too crazy about hand embellishing ANYTHING!  Hmmmmmm. FABRIC? Got it.

I measured and cut and took a big needle with a full six-strand of embroidery floss and gathered the top of the fabric strip(sorry, no pictures of the process; that's how FAST this was!). I cut near the already perfectly-frayed edges so they would show, rather than trying to hide frays, work with them! I tied it on, added three more strands of floss just tied around for a little more shape, and THERE!




Then I accessorized the little table. It is kind of rustic, so I pulled in a chipped pottery bowl that is MADE to go with this old runner on top.I love the blue....and the birds(they're blue!)



The lamp needed more height so I grabbed a small shadowbox that my dad made me when I was eight or nine--its rustic feel FITS with the table and the bowl.


Topped with the shiny little lamp base and the rustic shade cover, I think it works well.

Of course, we have to add stuff--er--accessorize. . .

A sweet little figurine holding a flower basket. A Wade bunny. A pottery basket of eggs from a childhood Easter gift. Sweet cuddly bunnies in varying sizes, colors, and textures, and a tiny "treasure box" from my own doll-play days.








On the wall next to my favorite wedding gift of all--this clock, I added a watercolor done by a dear old man we had the privilege of knowing. Henry Swann was a wonderful artist. This picture is Shakespeare's cottage. I may go back later and add my exhaustive works of Shakespeare textbook under the shadowbox or in place of it, as a tip of the hat to the print on the wall.



An angle shot.


It's a happy little scene!

Thanks for stopping by. What did YOU do this weekend?

~april

Linking to Met Monday Life Made Lovely Monday, Show Off Your Cottage MondayBlue Monday, and Tabletop Tuesday.   

9 comments:

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

I love that painting and all of your pretty accessories!!! Have a good week!!!

SmilingSally said...

Hi April,

I love your touches of blue!

Happy 1st Blue Monday!

chubskulit said...

Very pretty!

Would you mind peeking at my blues? Thanks!

Karie's Chic Creations said...

Love your decorating. Yes, it is a happy scene. The bowl with all the "stuff" is darling. You have a beautiful home. Thanks for sharing. Karie

Olive Cooper said...

I love the bowl of bunnies. I would never think of altering a shade...so good for you. Instead I have a closet full of spare, thrifted, shades. ♥olive

mississippi artist said...

Love the bowl of bunnies-too cute. The watercolor is divine. All of the little touches make a wonderful vignette.

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Hi, April! I'm your newest follower :) You've got so much creativity going on in your blog so can you please share them with us at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop?

This is a combination of linky party (where we can show off our
creations) and of blog hop (where we can follow as many excellent
bloggers as we like), hence the name Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop. It's a great way to meet awesome creative bloggers like you and increase your followers in the process.

All you have to do is 1) link up whatever creative post you'd like to share - can be a DIY project, decor, photography, crafts, recipes, poem, thrift finds, tips, or that informative syndicated post that can make us laugh, or cry - in short, whatever you're proud of! 2) Then follow as many blogs as your heart desires, preferably starting first with the one before you and after you, and leave a comment to them
that you're doing so.

You’re not required to include the party button but if you’re so inclined to display it in your blog or your post, you’re very much welcome to
do so :)

See you at http://www.homemakeronadime.com/2011/04/creative-bloggers-party-hop-042411.html

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Your lampshade slipcover is completely adoreable.

I however am really swooning over your watercolor~ love.

Lynn said...

And I just had to weigh in on this post and tell you: beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!! That's where I am now in the apartment. The heavy stuff is moved in, and now I am trying to create pretty little corners and tabletops to make our hearts sing. :)

Love,
Lynn