Friday, May 27, 2011

Baby Birds

Yesterday afternoon we unexpectedly got to watch closely, first hand some young Orchard Orioles learning to fly. It was breathtaking and harrowing as our CAT--the Queene Anne herself--had discovered one of the little fuzzies(the smallest and fuzziest, to be exact)and was readying to POUNCE when I realized her intentions, scooped her up, and booted her INSIDE.

I had been hearing baby birds outside for a couple of weeks, then I saw the parents busily feeding them in this nest. My mom had a nest of these in her yard last year, so I knew what they were already. They have the signature Oriole "hanging basket" nest. So amazing that a tiny creature could build something so complex.

Here are the two we got to see up close--apparently the youngest ones of this hatching. I nearly stepped on one, and got severely fussed at. Then another time when I got too close, the diligent Daddy bird swooped down at me. He was watching and coaching them from the trees around our yard. I imagine Queene Anne would have had quite the surprise if she HAD decided to pounce! :) Silly cat.

Isn't that fuzzy-headed little thing the CUTEST? I love the splayed-leg stance. He is sitting on the TINIEST little twigs in that picture. These were little BITTY birds!

It was such a joy to see these new little ones learning to use their wings, and I was impressed with the Daddy bird flying in to encourage and feed them as well as watching out for their well-being.

Yet another reminder of God's truth in everyday life!

 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 
Matthew 6:26




Do you enjoy bird watching?


~april

4 comments:

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Hi April...thanks for visiting my blog and your especially sweet comments. I'm a new follower and just finished looking around your blog a bit. Very fun! The mosaic in this post is awesome...hope you and yours have a great weekend! ~Ann

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh the birds are precious. We just discover a nest in one of our trees today and mamma is sitting, so maybe we will have some babies before long. Have a super weekend. Hugs, Marty

Lynn said...

Oh my goodness, how sweet! I love the little tuft of feathers on top of its head. So sweet! I love birdies. :)

Liz said...

Oh this gave me a little chuckle! That little precious one straddling the two tiny limbs.... Sigh.... Some folks say "the devil is in the details"..... They are wrong! God is in the details! :)

Yes, we love the little baby birds in our yard. :)

~Liz