Friday, May 27, 2011

Crochet Class

For the last six weeks or so we've been meeting on Wednesday afternoons with a group of moms and daughters for a crochet class taught by a sweet friend who my mother-in-law introduced to me. We have had a lovely time!

I thought I'd share some pictures from one of our classes. It has been a sweet time to get together, learn a new skill, and spend time getting to know each other better; it has also given us opportunity to encourage and challenge one another in our faith.


3Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good,
 4so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children,
 5to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored.  Titus  2:3-5





I find that when we make time to sit together and have busy, productive hands, many conversations take place that simply wouldn't in ordinary comings-and-goings. We are able to talk about food and nutrition and how we strive to meet the needs of our children. We talk about prayer needs and our families and churches. We talk about how we struggle as wives to fill the role that Scripture assigns to us, and we rejoice in the victories that others experience in all these areas.  We take joy in the near-luxury of an hour and a half to FOCUS on learning something new.

We see the children's eyes light up when they "get" how to do a new stitch(and the Mom's eyes too!). We hear words of wisdom from moms and wives who have been in circumstances similar to ours and have seen the Lord be faithful.

Our children get to visit with other girls of varying ages, forging new friendships and appreciating the ones already in place. They get to see the value of family as it is lived out by OTHER families. They learn that faith is not just important TO US, but that it dramatically affects the lives of others around us. They get to listen as moms and children talk of the Lord's goodness and faithfulness in their own lives, and they get to see the broader community of the body of Christ.
It's been so much more than just a craft class!



~april




3 comments:

Michelle said...

Looks like fun! I've been thinking about getting some kids and moms together for a beginner's knitting circle. I haven't a clue what to do with yarn, but we want to learn. I love the focus and calm involved in the process.

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

Your class sounds like such a wonderful experience. My grandmother taught me to crochet and it's brought me many hours of pleasure! I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday weekend!!!

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

My grandmother crocheted and made all sorts of things from afghans to scarves. I have an afghan she made me when I graduated from high school. (In 1977!) It is one of my most treasured possessions. I think it's wonderful that you have the time to do something like this...~Ann