Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Summer Flowers Mantel Redo

Yesterday I spent the day with the vacuum and an audiobook, alternately telling the kids to "do this" or scaring them out of the room(they're as bad as cats about the vacuum!).
It was nice to evict quite a few spiders, frighten the dustbunnies  into submission, and generally spend some creative energy "fluffing" the main area for summertime living. I re-accessorized the mantel for the time being, and thought I could share that part of the project yesterday with you.

 I took down the LARGE distressed-frame mirror that has hung here since we moved in five years ago and replaced it with an old hanging I framed when we were extremely poor newlyweds. It's a poster my hubby had before we were married. I matted it on gingham fabric and we built/I painted the frame for it. I think the whole thing cost us around $15 to do at the time. It still makes me smile.
 Details.
 Old books, cast iron, and milk glass...a few of my favorite things.
You've seen this teapot before!
I moved the table that had held my large dollhouse in front of the fireplace, since I wanted to hide the opening and I don't have a screen for it at this point. The small paper lanterns will be relocated to my daughter's room once she gets her American Girl doll area finished. :) They're just here for safekeeping.
Add a pretty tray and teacup, and the fireplace is complete.
One more view at night with the spotlight on.
I also dusted, rearranged, and fluffed my craft area yesterday. The vintage white cotton chenille bedspread I tucked onto the velvet love seat, paired with the fan in the corner(this area has NO air movement at all, and it gets hot!) speaks "Summertime and the livin's easy!" It just begs you to stop and put your feet up and cool off for a minute--or a few.

Here in the hot and humid, never-ending-summertime-South, I need that!

Today I hope to attack the sunroom and finish off the kitchen counters. I could not BELIEVE the grime I found yesterday in there--I even cleaned the top of the fridge!

Happy Tuesday to everyone--
linking to Tabletop Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life, Organizing Mission Monday at Organize with Sandy, and Show off Your Cottage Monday at House in the Roses.

~april



9 comments:

no spring chicken said...

It's all so lovely, I could just move right in! I also enjoyed the view behind the love seat. I love big windows that bring the outdoors in, especially in the summer!

Blessings, Debbie

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Your mantel and table decor are beautiful. Love your home. Everything is displayed in such a lovely and interesting way. Fantastic. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

You certainly got a lot done!!! Everything looks lovely! You desire to spend some downtime on that sofa in front of the fan!!!

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

April, your mantel looks so pretty, and that table in front of the fireplace looks like such a cozy place to sit with a cup of tea. laurie

Amanda said...

Could you know that as I sat in my living room this morning I was looking at my dusty-winter-mantel I was thinking on how I could summer it up? Thanks for the lovely ideas....something to chew on for the day as I pull out my steam cleaner and chase away the dirt of long Winter school days. :)

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Beautiful mantel and table decor! Loved it ! Thanks for sharing. You got a beautiful space here.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Lynn said...

Oh my goodness, I never get tired of stopping in at your blog and enjoying the loveliness. I truly love the mantle and fireplace. Sigh.

Enjoy this day!
xoxoxo
Lynn

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Summertime and the living is lovely at your house!

Happy 4th!

elizabeth said...

Hi April! I either didn't know or forgot that you are a pastor's wife too! Kind of like being army buddies huh? :) Love your mantel redo.