Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Back to School Mantel

Visiting Laurie's blog last week, I was inspired to do a back-to-school theme mantel for the season. We have technically been in school most of the summer and are currently in a break, but will start back in about a week. I thought doing the mantel--which is truly right in the center of our home--might set the mood and make it a more cheerful occasion.

Thanks for the inspiration, Laurie!

I hope you like what I did--it was quite the fun way to spend the afternoon procrastinating about packing for vacation! lol.

To start school, you simply MUST have a slate. This one reminds us who we are. 

A sweet vintage measuring stick reminds us all to do our best to "measure up" and "make the grade." 
And, of course, school can't start without a fresh box of Crayolas!

A globe for geography, an apple for the teacher, and a tip of the hat to Biology lab.
Oh, and let's keep a song in our hearts this school year!
One end of the mantel. I rehung the mirror yesterday--vertically rather than horizontally. Quite the change.

The other end--vintage globe, another slate, colored pencils in a vase, little boy and girl heading to school figurines, and my FAVORITE picture of the kids ever. Seven down to newborn. Love it. Reminds me how fast the days years pass!
The whole shebang.

In case I get a little too pie-in-the-sky about our schooling goals this year, this sweet little redhead(which reminds me of another Redhead around here!)keeps my perspective STRAIGHT!
(We all need a Redhead in our lives!)

For the garland I clothespinned vintage flash cards to some cheery red yarn. Don't those just take you right back to second grade? I put up some of the facts that were the hardest to learn--and a few easy ones too. :)

I stepped back and realized it was missing something, so I added ONE MORE little touch--can you see it?



Because when it comes to school for us, there's just NO PLACE LIKE. . .


I hope your school year is happy, whether at home, on the beach, in a classroom, or on a computer somewhere!
Never STOP learning!


~april                                Linking to these lovely parties:
Edited to add:
:)

20 comments:

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi April...

Awww...your "School Daze" mantel turned out sooo cute, my friend! As I was looking through your photos, I was reminded of the years that I homeschooled my three daughters. They are all grown, married, and with families of their own now. Truly the days and years...pass quickly! Enjoy these times, you and your children are building many precious memories!

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful mantel! I loved each and every element! I'm coming over from Laura's new linky party!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

Your School Decor is so cool !

SueLovesCherries said...

Very creative display - I love it!

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

It is wonderful....I love the old globe!!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh my word, this is absolutely wonderful. I just love it all. You have such a creative side, I would never think of this and you definitely have everything to make it spectacular. Love it for sure. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Boo-Bah AKA Iris said...

I love your mantel. It reminds me of when my kids were in school. That was a very long time ago.

LV said...

A great back to school presentation.

My Vintage Blankie said...

How very creative of you. I love your themed mantel. Thank you!

Pink Roses and Teacups said...

Hi, nice to meet you! Oh your mantle is just so cute! I love it! What a sweet way to get things going for a new school year. Your children's photo is so precious, and I love the little added "home". Such a nice touch.

Debbie

Janet said...

It's all so cute! I really like your vintage flash card garland!
Blessings,
Janet

C. Joy said...

I don't know if your mantel has put your children in mood for school, but I know I'm ready. Looks great. God bless your adventures.

Hi, I'm Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Oh you clever and wonderful teacher. Your kids are such lucky pupils to have you.
Thank you so very much for linking up!

Jo's This and That said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful mantel! From an old school teacher!

Carletta said...

You have some very special items on your mantel. I especially like the small globe and the song book. I remember the song book from the one room school I attended.

Pam said...

I am in love with your mantel. I don't think I've ever seen a school one done before. Great idea!

Neabear said...

The mantel looks great! I love everything you have there. Also had fun with your Fish game on your blog.

~Linnea

no spring chicken said...

Wow April! This is fabulous! At first I was inspired... then intimidated. You did such an amazing job, I'm afraid I couldn't be happy with mine... maybe I'll wait awhile and after I haven't been looking at YOURS... I'll be re-inspired. ;)

Blessings, Debbie

Lynn at Cottage and Creek said...

Your back-to-school themed mantle is wonderful! I love all the cute details, especially the flashcard bunting. The little globe is charming too! Have a wonderful vacation!
~Lynn

mississippi artist said...

Love your school days mantel.It is just so cute!

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

April, this is just wonderful. Love that old ruller, and your flash card banner is just so clever, and it looks great too. You have some wonderful old pieces, and they make a great display for your mantel. Thank you for crediting me with the idea, but I think your ideas turned into a better vignette. laurie