Monday, October 24, 2011

A Whirlwind Bath Makeover

About two weeks ago I received a phone call from a dear friend who I hadn't seen in ten years. She and her daughter would be down in our area for an athletic tournament, and thought it would be fun to stay with us. Of course I said "YES" instantly...and after we hung up the phone, panic set in.

This is THE FRIEND who got me into home decorating. THE FRIEND who took me to garage and estate sales and whose own home is shockingly beautiful, despite home educating four children and a husband in full-time ministry, and whose home is ALWAYS ready to welcome people at a moment's notice. She is THAT FRIEND. I love her dearly.

But I didn't know what I was going to DO. My upstairs is a no-man's land. The children have it to themselves. I try NOT to go up there, and their rooms SHOW that I don't monitor it closely enough. The upstairs bath has been LOCKED for six months because I was tired of their not caring for it, and we have two full baths downstairs that are much more easily monitored. That said, I knew I would need to (a)commandeer one child's room for our guests' sleeping area, and (b) FIX UP THAT BATHROOM so they could use it!

We spent last week cleaning kids' rooms. Legos, dolls' clothes, LAUNDRY(oh my goodness!) all were picked up, sorted, put neatly away. I took a few minutes on the internet to look around for bathroom decorating ideas(a touch of Paris, a tad of Tiffany blue? something more grown-up for my teen/tween girls?) and to cultivate the idea perking in my brain...Thursday we shopped and bought paint. Thursday night the Hubby painted.

The bathroom looked like this at first:
Yes, it was THAT  BAD. The wall color--just one thin coat--is actually a very nice creamy yellow, but in a room with NO natural light, UGH!
We had already begun scrubbing and removed the mirrors at this point. The CFL bulbs would be changed out for GE Reveal bulbs, to help with the lighting problem. 

The first few strokes of color always make my heart leap.

The contrast between the colors is quite stark. This was before I changed the light bulbs! The color is Valspar  from Lowe's,#5006-9C Sea Wave-- in a satin finish.

(Taken without a flash, so the color is a bit yellowed.)


Finally done. C did a great job helping her dad. :)  Walking in feels like stepping into another PLACE!  The black and white curtain and chandy wall decal came from HL--the decal was $10 after the 50% off sale, and I used my 40% off coupon on the curtain. It was a splurge, but what it does to help the unsightly shower doors was WELL worth the full $20, if I had paid it!

We added accessories.
I already had the dress form candles and the tiny tower and perfume bottle. I purchased the b&w charger and mirror for $1.50 and $5, respectively. They top an odd end table that just fits over the condemned laundry chute door.  When in doubt, COVER!
Towel storage--drink cooler tub on a black metal stand.

Wall art.
 Two vintage mirrors, an $.86 dress form plaque, and a $.25 vintage art deco frame glass over a mirror and clip art printed on vellum.(These had all been on my bedroom wall before the project.)
The "dress boutique" sign was on clearance at Hobby Lobby last week--only $1.75.  :)

Since this is C's domain too, there had to be. . . plants.
 Bird's Nest fern in a $4 basket from the HL Christmas section. It was perfect for our wall color!
 Another beautiful fern in a ceramic bowl from Dollar Tree. I enjoyed pulling odds and ends I already had for this project.
Cinnamon basil and buddleia in a milk glass vase. Crystal candleholder for cups and a crystal biscuit jar for cotton balls and cotton swabs. Milk glass saucer for soap.

I am thrilled with it. The girls are too.

We used the original mirrors, and had already picked the green towels just as an accent color. It is funny that they perfectly matched the ferns!

We were all very tired, but enjoyed a time of sweet fellowship with our friends, and it certainly feels good to be done with that project! :) (Meanwhile I'm thinking I might be able to make this "my room" somehow?!?)
The price breakdown, on things I actually purchased just for this room:
Paint: $27
Wall art, decal and plaque: $12
Rug and towels: $30
Curtain: $12
Basket and mirror: $9
Total: $90
Not too bad, I think!  :)

Linking to:
Show Off Your Cottage Monday
Organizing Mission Monday
Met Monday
Amaze Me Monday
Blue Monday
Creative Bloggers' Party and Hop
Tabletop Tuesday
Cottage Colors Party-Aqua!
Share the Love
Wow Us Wednesdays
Fall in Love
Inspiration Friday
~april


31 comments:

The Zookeeper said...

I think its wonderful!!!!!!!! My bathroom is almost the same color... We went from a grayish color to the great aqua blue to make things seem fun and fresh too!! We love our bathroom now!

SmilingSally said...

What a dramatic change! Thanks for sharing your blues.

Happy 1st Blue Monday, April.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Such a beautiful transformation. I love it. YOur accents of black and white are just perfect and the Paris/French theme so pretty. Beautifully done. Hugs, marty

Ms. Redo said...

Wow, y'all really got to work and made a beautiful transformation! Love that paint color and all the lovelies you added to the room - honestly the tub holding the towels is my fave, what a fantastic idea! Love the Paris-y additions, too, just lovely. Would you ever consider painting the little table white? Just wondering how that would look, along with the new look. Great job on a gorgeous bathroom!

Gabrielle said...

LOVE it! Great job, April and family. Now do my bathroom. =)

Catie D. said...

I still think we need more plants in there...;)

pat said...

You can decorate my bathroom any time!! it is beautiful!!

chubskulit said...

Simply Beautiful!!

Blues at my page. Have a great week!

LV said...

A very nice bathroom makeover. Love the colors you chose.

dix said...

I, too love the colors you choose. They are so refreshing and cheerful.

Kim, USA said...

I like the colors here and your decoration are simple but elegant.

Johnny Dog

patti west said...

I seriously adore your bathroom make-over!! I just chose my new toilet yesterday for an upcoming new bath in my house. ;) Your color scheme is very similar to what I'm going for. I love your wall color and also want a black & white shower curtain. Thanks for sharing your beautiful new space!

mississippi artist said...

What a great makeover! There is nothing like having company coming to make you get moving is there? LOL!

Shauna K said...

visiting from Organize with Sandy- what a fabulous makeover!! truly beautiful and loving the color combos!

Marilou of Lulu's Lovlies and Heartful Creations said...

What a great makeover, lovely colors! Thanks for stopping by, you did a great job on that bathroom. Hugs Marilou

Wanda said...

Wow I am impressed. Thanks so much for the visit to my blog and your lovely comment. TTFN Wanda

Suffia said...

What a transformation! Beautiful choice of color. Well done.

Hi, I'm Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

This is an amazing transformation! Standing ovation going on in Phoenix!

You might be suprised that now your children will be more encouraged to live with lovely things (that they take care of :) .

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

Love the fun colors and patterns...it turned out great!!

♥Linsey

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

What an awesome transformation! I just saw your post on Decor to Adore; and wanted to see the rest! Love the color with the black and white accents. Very pretty! I am now your newest follower; and I hope you will follow me, too! I can't wait to see what you do next!

Kathy said...

Oh my gosh, I love your transformation of your bathroom. Love the color. I didn't know hobby lobby had shower curtains-I'm going to check that out. where did you get your "ice bucket"

Bonnie said...

Love your transformation. Wow! Aren't you excited?

Allison said...

What can I say that everyone else hasn't. Wonderful job!! I wouldn't expect anything else from you. OH, and you ARE doing mine next
love you
~a

Roselle said...

This is beautiful! I love the wall where the pretty little filigree mirror tray is hanging. Very creative. Visiting from ECS Cottage Colors party today.
Roselle

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

Wow ! Amazing transformation ! Love it !

Bonnie said...

Hi again, I appreciate your visit so much and yes, I am a fellow southerner. Look forward to getting to know you.

Bonnie said...

Hi again, I appreciate your visit and yes, I am a fellow southerner!

Liz said...

APRIL! Are you kidding me right now?! This is Fan-TAB-U-Lus!!!!! One of my all time favorite combo's is turquoise and lime green!!! This is so so so cute!!!!! :) You guys did a great job!

~Liz

romance-of-roses said...

Hi, I love this bathroom. Wall color is fabulous! Everything is beautiful. Smiles...Lu

Lisa said...

That is a fantastic make over! The blue on the walls makes the entire room for me, just pops all your great black and white accents. I would love to wake up to this bathroom each morning!

very merry vintage style said...

What a beautiful color! Love the decal--it really makes the color pop. Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday!
Mary