Tuesday, November 1, 2011

October's Over-Recap of the Month

Linking this post to: Vintage Thingie ThursdayRednesday, and Fresh Cut Friday
Thank you ladies for hosting!


It's hard to believe October is past already, and now we're staring the holidays in the face! What did October look like around here? 


To begin with, with the cooler weather, the flowers go crazy.
C's Cinnamon Basil having a seed-sowing hayday.

Wild flowers find their color again after the heat of summer. 


Summer annuals put forth a last hurrah.

The light hits the trees differently.



 

The roses LOVE the cooler air.


And I love the roses. :)

We had our very first five-egg day. Every hen accounted for! 

Inside, the changing light shows up what needs to be cleaned and refreshed before the busiest time of year hits.  I don't really DO spring cleaning. It happens in the fall when I can be more assured of pleasant temperatures.
 We cleaned kids' rooms. The mirrors from the bath project are on his bed here. 
We even organized(the clothing part of)closets. I still have tons of stuff in the kids' closets from when we first moved in and they didn't need so much of their own storage space. Bad Mom! :)
We redid the kids' bath upstairs:

The Boy had a birthday. 


 We took the Boy to the mall on his birthday. Only two wanted to ride the carousel this time. The others have gotten "too big". :(
I wonder how much longer she will be happy to be seen with her best friend, Kit. She got to ride her big sister's favorite horse THIS time.

We visited my home church for Homecoming Sunday. 
 My dad was bugging the Boy to distraction. 
Needless to say the grandparents were glad to see the children!

Grandmother's House.
Her flowers were really putting on a show, and I love the long tree shadows across the yard.

There were "treasures" to be had at Goodwill:
 Love the roses and the Octobery-orange rim!
 Pyrex! LOVE!
 A third vase like the two that flank my mantel right now. It was lonely!
 And this unmarked, mushroom cottage cookie jar. It's a mystery to me!
Any ideas how old it might be?

One more flower shot. C's morning glories, on a sunflower stalk. :)

I hope your October was just LOVELY. And as we head into November, hold on tight!

~april

11 comments:

Nani said...

I love that cookie jar! If I had room in my vintage kitchen, I'd probably have a collection of cookie jars.

Your flowers look so nice! I have spring and early summer perennials, so my flower beds have been empty since July. I hope to expand into summer blooms next year!

So, your morning glories have a thing for sunflowers, huh? :)

Michelle said...

A pyrex find is always a good day!!!

Mmm, cinnamon basil. Sounds good!

Sounds like everyone's been busy, even the feathered girls! :)

Hi, I'm Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Whew! You had a busy month. I love lavender roses. They are my favorite.

LV said...

I am tired from just reading your blog. Wish I had your energy. I love all flowers and really enjoyed yours. It is better for us staying busy than idle hands and minds.

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

Great Pics , Great month !

Mecky said...

You have a nice looking family!

We went to Homecoming at the congregation we use to attend and it was so wonderful to see people that we hadn't seen in years.

I like your DD's Kit doll. My DD has Samatha(who is almost 16, since my Dd got her on her 8th B-day). I wish they had them when I was young!

I have enjoyed your blog.

Picket said...

Hey girl...loved seeing all the flowers...the cooler weather really helped all ours get their second wind as well...Happy Birthday to The Boy...reminds me of the movie Shenandoah with James Stewart...ohhh that was a tear jerker especially in the end when they were all in church and 'The Boy' came walking in...ohhhhh...lol lol thanks so much for coming by sweetie...it was a rough month but praise the lord...it was no mountain for a climber and I have always been a climber...take care girl and have a glorious weekend....Picket

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Loved seeing all your flowers...the roses are incredible. You asked about my IKEA sofa. I do love it and it's holding up well. The one thing I would say though is you have to be OK with the rumpled slipcover look. I like it and wanted to go more casual. For the money I don't think you can go wrong. Have a great weekend!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Thank you especially for the beautiful blooms!


NO RED?

Imagine a world without red
For either a robin or sled:
How drab it would be
No scarlet to see,
But only grey shading instead!


© 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

Red Oak Leaves

Coloradolady said...

no mark needed on that cookie jar...it is adorable!! I need to start cleaning too, I too do it in the fall.....just the thought...ugh. I have no energy these days but need to find it quick...holidays are so close.

Liz said...

That was a busy month! Love all your flower shots. And you know I loved the bathroom re-do! :) Thank you so much for linking up your post to FCF! Sorry it has taken me all week to get around to my guests.

~Liz