Friday, February 3, 2012

(Twenty)Random Things That Make Life Easier

As I was catching up on blogs that I follow today, I came across Susan's fun and informative post over at Between Naps on the Porch, and it set me to thinking of the things we use around here that are my go-to items. I thought I'd join her impromptu Linky on the subject, so here they are in no particular order, except  the order in which I thought of them!

Binder clips in all sizes. Papers, Bookmarks, Chip clips, Cord  holders, Photo hangers, even an emergency hair clip!

High-quality pencils and a GOOD electric sharpener. Mirado Black Warrior are my favorites!

USB Drive, Flash Drive, Thumb Drive...whatever you call it, it makes life with multiple computers and  many files MUCH easier to deal with!

Touch Dimmer on my headboard--controls the lamp by my bed.

THIS lamp, to be exact.

(Cue harp music) This is THE coffeepot/drink station. It keeps water hot in a separate reservoir for those impromptu and much-desired cups of tea through the day, and it does a marvelous job on the coffee AND having it ready when our eyes first open in the morning.

Automatic hand soap dispenser. Touch free, for those extra-messy moments. This one stays by the prep sink .(Incidentally, I didn't take a picture, but that reminds me that TWO kitchen sinks and TWO garbage disposals are INDISPENSABLE at this house! Best decision I made on this kitchen!)

Light remote. Keeps me from crawling under furniture to unplug things, especially around holidays. Also great for controlling the hall lamp UPstairs.

This saves my sanity at kitchen cleanup time. 

The toaster oven gets used daily.
I have a ton of clipboards. Kids use them for worksheets; I organize my lists and various projects by clipping  things onto a board--almost like a filing system!

Who has a KitchenAid  stand mixer and CAN live without it? I love this thing. I was a gift for my birthday eight years ago,  and  I don't know what I DID before I got it!

Ah, the wireless SD card--puts my pictures straight from my camera to my computer wirelessly, instantly.  No need for cables. This is the part you plug in to set up the card. The card is in my camera!

Wireless printer/scanner/copier. We homeschool. Yes, it's dusty. Paper is dusty. My room is dusty. Life is busy!

Daily moisturizer with SPF. Love this stuff--light, not greasy. Works well with and without foundation.

A Southern girl HAS to have her lipstick. This stuff STAYS PUT--so I don't get caught looking "white as a sheet" when I forget to check the mirror before heading out for an errand! :)

Nothing wakes up the face like mascara--gotta have it. Have tried other more expensive brands, but this one keeps me coming back. Not waterproof, thank you!

Excellent moisturizer. Soothing on insect bites. Works great on eye makeup.  Good for you, too!

Essential oils. House cleaning, health concerns, pest control, etc. Gotta have them!
Long skirts and comfy shoes...

In particular, I live in my Crocs--not the clunky ones, but these. LOVE. It's hard to put on anything dressier now, they're so COMFORTABLE(and surprisingly supportive--and can be cleaned when I forget and wear them out in the muddy yard to check on my chickens!)

Travel-knit skirts. Since I went to wearing skirts 95% of the time about  a year  and a half ago, I cannot  make it without these from Coldwater Creek. I buy them on sale with a coupon and free shipping, which takes the price from astronomical to around $20. No ironing, they wash beautifully, drape beautifully, are LONG enough, and wear WELL.  My only complaint is that they're VERY basic in the selection of colors!

So that's my list of how many, twentyish , things?

It's all just stuff, y'all, but it's kind of fun to see what OTHER people use and prefer!
Thanks, Susan! This was fun!

Hope you ALL have a happy weekend!

~april

13 comments:

Susan BetweenNapsOnThePorch said...

April, great list! I should have had pencils on mine...I love those and use them all day. I hadn't heard of that brand...will have to look for it. I've been thinking about the auto hand dispenser...my sister has those and love using them at her house. A wireless SD card...very cool! Didn't even know they had such a thing. So many great things...learned a lot from this list!

Jennifer said...

Hi April! Great list!! I love me some binder clips. I have at least a few in my purse at any given time. I also have a black knit skirt that I love...It's my go to on days I'm running late!

Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista said...

Yes, the Kitchen Aid mixer is a can't live without. It's one of the few things (along with my husbands coffee maker) that lives out on the counter, we use it so much.

Grammy Goodwill said...

Great list. I'm interested in that skirt. Can you send me more info about it? Thanks.

Liz said...

I just have to smile. Look at all of the stuff we use everyday that makes life easier. I have a Cuisinart Coffee maker and love it. We program it to for first thing in the morning. What a life saver! AND I have worn that same mascara for ... well... 30 years! Holy Cow! That is a lot of mascara! LOL!

Have a great weekend!
~Liz

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Mirado Black Warrior pencils, too. They are getting harder to find and I'm afraid of the day when I have to switch!! Great list, thanks!

Heidi @ homeingreece said...

Great list! I'm resisting the kitchenaid mixer as hard as I can, but I know that someday I will give in, and I know once I give in, I'll never go back to my poor little wooden spoon! Your lamp is so pretty! Thanks for checking out my list :)

Michelle said...

I totally heard those harps! And i've never even heard of a wireless sd card. Amazing!

Mrs.Flescher said...

Great list! Just had to tell you, I LOVE your lamp shade! Also going to Google that wireless SD card. I've never seen one. Thanks!

Scribbler said...

I didn't think about pencils -- I use them all the time, and really need a new sharpener!

Chris said...

Hi there, what a great list. I have just discovered coconut oil and its valuable properties and a put it on raisin bread. I really like it. I have been eating it for about a week and am hoping to see some positive changes in my health. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

Mary said...

Hi April,

Thank you so much for the comment on my blog. Love the fact that we both met our husbands in the Texas/Louisiana corridor!

Great blog post today. Lots of great things to help make life easier...and just plain more pleasant! :-)

Love,
Mary

Decor To Adore said...

I love seeing your favorite finds! A few are my favorites too. :)