Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Four dresses, Five days

Wow! I fell off the planet again, didn't I? How time FLIES! Last week, especially, it seemed like every fifteen minutes the clock would chime another hour--it was the quickest week I've EVER experienced! Do you ever have times like that?

My three girls and our two best friends had tickets this past weekend to the Celtic Woman concert in Baton Rouge--we bought the tickets in December and gave them for an early birthday present to C, as her friend got tickets for Christmas. As you can imagine, the excitement had PLENTY of time to build, including my girls putting together a concert they did for their grandparents when their mamaw was recovering from knee surgery recently. *smile* They know every word of every. single. song....

Soooo, a very special event requires a very special outfit, and because I despise clothing shopping, or maybe because I didn't have ENOUGH to do this last week, we decided at the last possible minute(and no one in her right mind would have taken on this project, I am sure!)to MAKE "Jane Austen style" dresses for the girls to wear to the concert.(The girls have been clamoring for "old" dresses for months, and this seemed the perfect opportunity, except for the TIME factor!)
They even looked up hairstyles and had SO much fun helping each other!


Mind you, it was THEIR decision. They picked the pattern. All I did in that part of the process was print out the Hobby Lobby coupon and fork over the credit card for STUFF....lots and lots of stuff.

The crazy part? I couldn't get started over Easter weekend. Could NOT make myself cut out the pattern pieces...so we STARTED sewing on Tuesday of last week!
We met up with two friends at the concert.

I think bedtimes were 12:30; 1:30; 2:30; 2:30; and 2:00 last week, and then I was literally sewing the final bodice-to-skirt seam in the last dress at 2:00 on Sunday(the concert was at 5:00). My night-owl, C, was up with me every minute of it, too. She was invaluable help! I think SHE learned a LOT!
And I enjoyed the time with her. :)


The girls looked beautiful, loved the concert, and just enjoyed being together. My friend and I couldn't quite decide if we wanted to watch the concert, or watch our girls watching! They were so sweet. Fun times, fun memories.

Old-fashioned beauty!



She was SO happy! 
I just loved the vintagey yo-yo hair clips they ended up using!
Her dress had to be DIFFERENT!


This one always, always smiles. 


I hope that we also LEARNED something to improve our sewing and anti-procrastination skills during the process. *smile*

Happy Day to YOU!


~april

Linking to: Wow Us Wednesday ;
                 Vintage Thingie Thursday(though the only vintage things here are some of the lace trimmings we                     used!) :)
               Pearls and Lace Thursday(which are two things that make girly-girls happy!)

Thank you ladies for hosting lovely parties each week!

9 comments:

Lynn said...

Oh, April, what beautiful dresses! The girls look absolutely beautiful! And what an opportunity -- to see a concert like that! I hope you are catching up on your rest this week. You all did a great job, and it's good you have a night owl to help out. ;)

Love,
Lynn

bj said...

The dresses are BEAUTIFUL but they come in SECOND to all the beautiful girls.:)
So glad a good time was had by all.

Coloradolady said...

Beautiful dresses and girls, and it sounds like you had a great time!! Happy VTT!

LV said...

#What a great way to spend a family outing.

Little Susie Home Maker said...

I feel tired just reading this. The girls look lovely and so happy! You sure are a sweet one to do all of that!
Bless you,
Susie

Jann Olson said...

How fun for you and your girls. Other than all the late night hours. You took on a big job. However, you pulled it off nicely. Love all of their cute dresses! I have a new linky party, Share Your Cup Thursday. Which is about sharing what makes you happy. This would be a great post to share.
Hugs,
Jann

Pellie / Penny said...

You deserve a big hug and a few extra hours of sleep this week.

Sewing all those beautiful dresses in one weeks time was quite an accomplishment.

Hugs,
Penny

Doni said...

Oh the girls are LOVELY!!! Such sweet girl beauty! I love the dresses...great job by the way, but that they are each so pretty in their own unique way is the best part of your photos this week....I can only imagine the hours and hours of work and yet don't you know that the significance of those hours will last a life time?!!
I'm so glad you joined me for my party and shared this wonderful post!!
Blessings to you and yours,
Doni

Gabbi said...

I had so much fun at that concert, wearing those dresses :) I want to thank you and Mom for making those for us. Ya'll are so sweet and did a WONDERFUL job! And for the next concert, maybe we can work on gloves and hats ;)

Love Gabbi