Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Saturday a week before Father's Day

This rose we have named "The Rose of World Domination" finally BLOOMED this year for the first time in three years--pink and white on the same plant! Just had to show you...now, for the rest of the post!

This past weekend we woke up early to get on the road to visit my parents in Mississippi. While watering the containers outside, C came across this pretty girl in our flowerbed...
 Laying eggs! How exciting! We will be watching for baby red-eared sliders in a few weeks! I don't know if I've said it before here, but I adore turtles. They're probably my absolute favorite animal(but don't tell Queen Anne the kitty that, please, as I will never get off her bad list!).

After we finally managed to get in the car and moving down the road, we stopped for my hubby to visit some old friends for a few minutes. Their house looked SO MUCH like Green Gables. We were all oooh-y and aaaah-y as we waited in the car.

THEN we were treated to some local entertainment. 

Is there anything funnier than goslings? So gangly and clumsy and CUTE! Their friend the duck had a hard time keeping up, but did pretty well. We laughed and laughed at this foursome.

After lunch at Mom's, we visited my Mawmaw and Pawpaw's old house. Her hydrangea--which has been there longer than I can recall--was in FULL bloom. Gorgeous. 

I don't think there were any snakes under it, either. She used to tell me to stay away from it because of snakes. :)



It was a super quick afternoon and before we were ready we had to head home, but we were gifted with a perfectly pink sunset on the way.
 It reminded us that we'd love to head to the beach, but I also realized that we have beautiful sunsets to enjoy almost every time we visit my parents. What a treat!
 We arrived home in the "blue hour". This picture would be perfect if the lamp post had not been working switched on already! 

There's no place like home!

~april

5 comments:

mississippi artist said...

There is surely no place like home! It is funny that your grandmother told you there were snakes in the hydrangea. I live in Mississippi and my grandmother told us the same thing about the fig tree. I wonder if that is just a Mississippi grandmother thing? LOL.

Marissa said...

That is right NO PLACE LIKE HOME!!!
loved the picture of the hydrangea... I bet they are nice to look at in person... I am zone 9 so, they don't grow here

KathyB. said...

I am thinking your grandma told you to stay away because of snakes was a ruse to keep you away from the hydrangea, thus insuring it would last this long ! :)

Beautiful day full of beautiful places, and I agree, there is no place like home !

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Baby turtles! I cannot imagine anything cuter. Lucky you!

Fiona said...

You have been seeing lovely sunsets too!